40 Reflections #38: 40 days of raw recollections during the Lenten Season
With Opening Day for Baseball Season occurring all over the country and Good Friday Services on its heels, I thought about sacrifice. Yours, mine, and God’s.
In that spirit, I asked our kids to think of a sacrifice they have made this past week.
- “Grades,” was the first response. “I did well on one test and sacrificed my grade on another.” My daughter also said that even though her swim meet was fun, she sacrificed study time.
- In baseball, our son said he sacrificed a fly ball for an RBI giving his team the lead in the game.
- Our middle guy said he has sacrificed mountain biking on the trails due to all the rain, which he added, is the right thing to do to keep up the trails.
- As parents, we sacrifice time, workouts, haircuts, and whatever it takes for our children. (I lied about workouts)
- As children (thank you sisters), we sacrifice our established lives, without qualms, to care for our aging parents. After all, they sacrificed more for us than we could ever imagine.
How many times in your life have you stepped away from an opportunity to allow someone else to enjoy a shot at glory? That’s sacrifice. When our boys sit through insanely long swim meets or dance recitals. That’s sacrifice. When our daughter reads the entire Babysitter Club Series through baseball, lacrosse, and soccer games in the scorching heat. That’s sacrifice. Forgoing sleep to finish this blog. That’s sacrifice. You, taking the time to read this. That’s sacrifice. (thank you)
Jesus dying on the cross, that is the Ultimate Sacrifice.
Dig Deep: Let your body rest today, fast if you can, and drink lots of water.
Lenten Challenge: Make a list of sacrifices you have made in the last week.